Many years ago, as a young man in my twenties, a mate introduced me to scrambling. I had no clue what it was or what it involved, but he was a good lad and it was a weekend in the Lake District and so it sounded like the sort of lark I’d enjoy.
We cut our teeth on the infamous, though in reality, very friendly, Striding Edge that led us to the summit of Helvellyn. It went so well that we were in fact back at our car by lunchtime. Idly flicking through his guide book my mate then suggested we tick off one more route to make best use of the daylight remaining that day: and so off we went to St John’s in the Vale for a grade 3 epic named Sandbed Ghyll.
I had no idea what I had agreed to or what lay ahead, but what transpired was three or four hours of near death scrambling up a Lake District ghyll which to make matters worse, was in spate at the time. Once established on the route, we were committed, and while my mate blithely led the way I felt every perilous step would be my last. I confess, I was terrified the whole way up, wondering what on earth I was doing on such a route. This is not the baptism by fire I would recommend for newcomers to this great sport, and so now I’m a bit older and wiser, I share with you dear reader, some pearls of wisdom gleaned over those years.
(For what it’s worth, we went out and did a lovely grade 2 scramble the next day and I loved it!)
Scrambling is fun
Scrambling is exciting, it’s airy, it’s exposed, it’s exhilarating, and most of all it’s simply a GREAT way to ascend a mountain. Also it is a great way to enjoy an adventure. Go prepared for the day and you’ll have a great day to remember!
Recommended Scrambling Guide Books
Guided scrambling weekends with Will4Adventure 2021
For those of you with a good head for heights, this is an exhilarating way to ascend a mountain offering high airy views and plenty of excitement. Perfect for seasoned walkers or aspirant adventurers!
Weekends coming up …
- 1st/2nd May 2021 – Snowdonia starters. Snowdon via Y Lliwedd and the Nantlle Ridge
- 22nd/23rd May 2021 – Lake District, Helvellyn via Striding Edge and Blencathra via Sharp Edge
- 29th/30th May 2021 – Snowdonia, two of the best. Tryfan’s North Ridge and Crib Goch
- 5th/6th June 2021 – Snowdonia, Snowdon via Y Gribin and the Llech Ddu Spur
- 11th/12th September 2021 – Lake District, Helvellyn via Striding Edge and Blencathra via Sharp Edge
- 18th/19th September 2021 – Snowdonia, Snowdon via Y Gribin and the Llech Ddu Spur
- Hire your own guide for a day from £160 per day